If a distro has an Official package, that means you can install it from your package manager. Those packages might be of an older version of MyPaint. Unoffical packages are often newer. Development packages are very recent. If you cannot find a package for your distro or the version you want, you can always get the source and compile from the official Download page
|Distro||Official||Unofficial||Development||Bugs/QA (for developers)|
|Ubuntu||In universe for 10.04+||getdeb.net||MyPaint Testing PPA||QA overview|
|Debian||In unstable from fall 2009||QA overview|
|Arch Linux||In community from 17.03.2010||mypaint-git in AUR|
|Fedora||In Fedora for F11+||Bug list|
|ALTLinux||In Sisyphus from fall 2009|
|Mandriva/ROSA||In contrib for 2010.0+|
|Gentoo||Included as media-gfx/mypaint since 2010-12-31|
|OpenMamba||In devel In milestone2|
- 1.0.0 done - see Downloads section
- 1.1.0 bugged - see blog post and bug #19948 (renders it unusable)
Sometimes someone builds a development snapshot, usually announced on the forum.
 Portable Version
A portable or standalone version is also available . This package is up-to date very quickly if new versions of MyPaint for Windows are released:
- Download from winPenPack - Portable MyPaint application
 Mac OS X
MyPaint runs natively on Mac OS X. No X11 environment is required. If you have feedback or encounter any problems see Mac OS X Port on the forums.
To install, simply download and run:
- Download MyPaint 1.0.0v3 - Installer for Mac OS X
- NO PRESSURE SUPPORT in the current builds (GTK2 issue).
- Currently, there is no menu-bar integration.
- Sometimes, panning across the menu bar isn't fluent. It appears the menus need to "buffer" first. Buffer them by loading them at least once.
- The build is rather large. A lot of libraries had to be included, some required, some not. Feel free to experiment by removing libs you feel aren't required.
- To uninstall delete
/opt/on your drive.
To install a MacPorts version of MyPaint, you need to:
- Have MacPorts installed
+no_x11 +quartzset in your
variants.conffor a native build (optional, but recommended)
sudo port install mypaintusing a Terminal
- ... wait for MyPaint to compile ...
MyPaint is available from FreeBSD ports collection.